Perfect for spring – ricotta pancakes. They are lighter than traditional pancakes – delicious and airy alone, but pair them with lemon curd and blueberry sauce (recipe below) for a special plate. This recipe is from Martha Stewart and is easily doubled.
RICOTTA PANCAKES – makes 8 pancakes
(recipe from October 1994, Martha Stewart Living Magazine)
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- In a large bowl, use an immersion blender or food processor to combine egg yolks and ricotta until smooth. Add milk, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Process until completely blended.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold eggs whites into batter.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Pour batter into skillet and cook until pancakes start to bubble, then turn, and cook for about 3 more minutes, until pancakes are golden.
- Serve with fresh fruit, fruit sauce, or lemon curd.
Berry sauce: Combine fresh or frozen blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries in a small pan with sugar to taste, lemon zest, and a tablespoon of water. Simmer, stirring frequently, until ingredients come together, 3-4 minutes.