Broccoli Cheddar soup – fresh broccoli, cheddar cheese, and homemade chicken stock.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 6-8 cups homemade chicken stock
- 6 cups fresh broccoli, rinsed and trimmed
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated (or more, to taste)
- few tablespoons of light cream or milk to finish (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a heavy stock pot or large cast iron pot, sauté chopped onion in the olive oil and butter for 7-10 minutes.
2. Add flour, and stir to combine. Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock, and bring to a simmer.
4. Add broccoli and carrot, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until broccoli is cooked but not mushy.
5. Let mixture cool slightly, then mix with an immersion blender, leaving some large broccoli pieces for texture.
6. While soup is still warm, add grated cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper, and finish with a few tablespoons of light cream or milk if desired.