I have had this recipe for a long time. A friend shared it with me years ago, and it is still a favorite sugar cookie in our house. All sugar cookies are not the same – we like these because they are not too sweet, have good flavor, and a tender texture. We usually decorate them with a simple confectioners sugar frosting (confectioners sugar, water, extract), but it is easy to just brush the cookies with egg white and sprinkle them with colored sugar before they go into the oven. Here is the recipe:
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)
- 1 egg yolk (reserve white)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- colored sugar if desired
1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, cream cheese, salt, extract, and egg yolk. Blend well. Stir in flour until well blended, but do not over-mix. Pat dough into a disc and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate dough for at least an hour or overnight.
2. Heat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to desired thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place an inch apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Leave cookies plain, or brush with a lightly beaten egg white, and sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake for 7 – 10 minutes, or until light golden brown.